- Huge performance improvement: moves the XML News sitemap to be based on our Indexables architecture.
- Removes images from the XML News sitemap as they serve no purpose here and this further improves performance.
- Excludes attachments and non-indexed post types from the possible post types to include in the News Sitemap.
October 19th, 2021
- Adds Schema Article News subtypes: ReviewNewsArticle, AnalysisNewsArticle, AskPublicNewsArticle, BackgroundNewsArticle, OpinionNewsArticle, and ReportageNewsArticle.
August 10th, 2021
- Fixes a bug where a duplicate News section would be shown in the Yoast sidebar in the post editor when Yoast SEO Premium is active in combination with WP 5.8.
July 13th, 2021
- Adds key/value pairs of all News SEO meta tags to our REST API.
- Improves the performance of the news sitemap. Props to archon810.
- Fixes a bug where a database query including duplicate column names would fail on certain database systems.
- Adds a filter to override the decision to omit an item from the news sitemap. Props to joneslloyd.
- Sets the minimum WordPress version to 5.6.
- Adds News to the Yoast SEO sidebar in the Elementor editor and the block editor.
- Merges the Exclude from News sitemap and the Googlebot-News index settings from the News meta box into one setting: Exclude this post from Google News. Because both settings served the same purpose, to exclude your content from the News sitemap.
- Removes the Default genre setting from the News sitemap and settings because Google no longer supports Genres for articles in Google News.
- Sets the WordPress tested up to version to 5.7 and minimum supported WordPress version to 5.6.
- Fixes a bug where certain conditions (e.g. using a different admin language) would result in an endless loop.
- Fixes “mixed content” warnings on the News SEO options page.
August 18th, 2020
- Adds ‘Article’ as @type to articles that are set to be included in the news sitemap. This results in a @type array with at least ‘Article’ and ‘NewsArticle’.
- Enables tracking when activating the plugin. It can be disabled in the Yoast SEO configuration wizard.
- Sets the minimum supported WordPress version to 5.4.
January 14th, 2020
- Fixes a bug where a large number of WordPress terms or post types would cause significant slowdowns and possible crashes on admin pages.
- Removes the code tags from the term and post type names on the News SEO settings page.
January 7th, 2020
- Fixes a bug where the sitemap could be invalidated twice on multisite with MultilingualPress.
- Show dates in UTC+0 format everywhere.